SACRAMENTO MOUNTAINS
SENIOR SERVICES, INC

(SMSSI)
Cloudcroft, New Mexico  88317

  575-682-3022

OUR SPONSORS


CLICK HERE TO SEE MORE

CLICK HERE TO SEE MORE

 

BEAUTIFUL PLACE TO COOK
EXTRAS WERE READY AND THEN ...

2014 High Rolls Apple Festival 
Date: October 18, 2014 - October 19, 2014 
HIGH ROLLS AND MOUNTAIN PARK, NEW MEXICO

-------------------------------

High Rolls is a small unincorporated community in Otero County, New 
Mexico, United States. It is nestled within the Lincoln National Forest at the 
southernmost tip of the Sacramento Mountains. Elevation is approx. 6,800 
feet (2,100 m). High Rolls includes a general store, a post office, an 
elementary school, two churches, and sometimes a bar. High Rolls has 
many local attractions and festivities for the locals or first time visitor to 
enjoy. It is also home to two annual festivals, the Cherry Festival and the 
Apple Festival, both presented by The High Rolls/Mountain Park Lions 
Club.
-------------------------------
Mexicans who settled in the Tularosa Basin in the mid-1880s obtained 
water rights to graze cattle in the fertile canyons of the Sacramento 
Mountains. By the 1880s, homesteaders discovered the area, bought the 
water rights and began establishing farms. David M. Sutherland located 
in the High Rolls area in 1883 and was soon followed by Francisco Maes 
and Cipriano Tefoya, who came up from La Luz in 1884 and settled in the 
Mountain Park area. P.M. “Uncle Button” Nelson, Jack Tucker and William 
Karr married sisters and moved into the region in 1885. Other early settlers 
included I.Q. Snow, Hamilton Kimberlin, Michael Mulchay, George Van 
Sickle, Eugene Sullivan, Fletcher and James Thompson, J.M. Bennett, 
Venturo Giron, George Wofford, Charlie McClure, Antonio Vargas and 
Ben Wooten. They built and maintained ditches to divert the Fresnal 
water to their crops and built the first dirt road from Fresnal to La Luz. 
Fresnal, later known as Wooten, had the first post office in the area, 
established in 1894. The coming of the railroad in 1898 opened up the 
area for the shipment of goods to market and development of the tourist 
trade. By 1899, trains went as far as Toboggan Canyon, where 
passengers were transferred to stagecoaches for the final miles to 
Cloudcroft. Freight depots and Wells Fargo offices were built in both High 
Rolls and Mountain Park. The railroad operated on a regular basis until 
World War II. It finally ceased operation in 1948. The first official use of the 
High Rolls name was in 1901, when the post office was moved from 
Fresnal (Wooten) to High Rolls. The name, which was sometimes spelled as 
one word, Highrolls, supposedly came from the shape and elevation of 
the area as compared to the sharper peaks higher up. Mountain Park 
received its name from Edgar Cadwallader, who came there in 1903 with 
the intent to grow fruit and vegetables. Others settled in the area and 
the resulting orchards produced apples, cherries, peaches, pears, 
cauliflower, and cabbage. It became so successful that the post office 
was moved there from High Rolls in 1904. Other activities in the High 
Rolls/Mountain Park area included a poultry farm, a sawmill, a blacksmith 
shop and a shingle mill run by water from the Fresnal. The Courtney Mine 
shipped copper ore from its location 4 miles south of High Rolls. The first 
store was the High Rolls Mercantile Store, built in 1905, it is still standing on 
Railroad Drive in High Rolls. The original area school was a log cabin built 
in 1889. A school in Haynes Canyon was built in 1908 and the rock school 
in Karr Canyon was built in 1922 using some of the lumber from the old 
Haynes Canyon school. Although designed for indoor plumbing none 
was installed until 1944, because some school board members believed it 
was unnecessary. The first church building was constructed of logs in 
1888. In 1906, the Fresnal Baptist Church was built in Haynes Canyon. It is 
the present High Rolls/Mountain Park United Methodist Church, now a 
state historical site. The High Rolls Development Company was formed in 
1909 and built a three-story hotel with 25 rooms, which opened in 1912. 
The company also constructed about 50 guest cottages for summer 
visitors. Over the years, the hotel served as a tuberculosis sanitarium and 
later as a retreat for Jesuit priests. Finally, the hotel was dismantled, with 
part staying and becoming a private residence while other parts 
became homes in Alamogordo. Of the 50 cottages, only about six 
remain, all remodeled and added to, on what was known as Cottage 
Row. The 160 acre Skyline Ranch of the YMCA was a well-known feature 
of the region from its start in 1908 as Camp Mescalero until it was sold and 
became private property in the 1980s. Probably the best known native 
of the area is Bill Mauldin, nationally syndicated cartoonist, Pulitzer Prize 
winner and creator or World War II heroes Willie and Joe. Mauldin was 
born and raised in Mountain Park and his first cartoon appeared in the 
Alamogordo High School newspaper.

-------------------------------

THE CROWDS SURROUNDED OUR BOOTH

 IT WAS FUN FOR THE SENIOR CENTER

ALL PROCEEDS BENEFIT THE CLOUDCROFT, 

HIGH ROLLS AND MAYHILL SENIOR CENTERS

THANK YOU EVERYONE

FOR SUPPORTING OUR CENTERS

 

 
 
 
 

Maintained by
MWDESIGNS

(TOP OF PAGE)